General: Surface should be free of grease, dirt, fingerprints, rust and other foreign matter to insure optimum adhesion.
Plastic: Clean thoroughly to remove contaminants and mold release agents. Use isopropyl alcohol or other suitable solvent cleaner. If necessary, prime with JetFlex™ Primer CM0480930 to obtain adhesion. JetFlex® WR Spray Fil CM0481505 may be used for adhesion and filling on plastic substrates. Test system integrity before use or consult your Sherwin-Williams aerospace representative for additional information.
Metals: Chemical treatment such as Zinc or iron phosphate is recommended. Prime with JetFlex® Primer CM0480930 if required.
Shake color component for 10-15 minutes before admixing.
Admix by Volume:
7 Part JetFlex® Color (L- and E- Color Numbers)
1 Part JetFlex Catalyst CM0981520
Add the Catalyst into the Color Component. Do not vary catalyst ratio. Overcatalazation can extend cure times.
Reduce to desired application viscosity with approximately (2-4 parts) 25-50% of CM0110845 JetFlex Reducer.
It is recommended to filter strain admixed and reduced paint before placing material in containers for spraying.
This product can be applied using conventional air spray equipment, HVLP, Graco Pro 4500 air electrostatic, or Graco Pro 4500 air assisted airless electrostatic. Please consult your Sherwin-Williams representative for specific equipment settings.
- Always air-blow and tack-wipe the surfaces to be painted. Assure that the aircraft is properly grounded for potential static buildup.
- Make sure pots, guns, and lines are purged and cleaned.
- Mix thoroughly and filter strain before spray applying.
Pressure Gun: Tip - FF, Air Cap - 765 DeVilbiss
Pot Pressure: 5 psi (0.35 bar)
Atomizing: 35-40 psi (2.40 – 2.75 bar)
- Best application results are obtained by applying two medium wet coats. Allow 10-15 minutes flash off of basecoat before applying texture coat.
- Recommended dry film thickness is 0.8-1.2 mils (20-30 microns) – Wet 4-6 mils (100-150 microns).
- To apply in a texture finish, catalyze and reduce as normal. Adjust the air and fluid pressures when spraying to create texture.
- To lower the gloss of a color, use CM0571096 Flattening Additive.
Application of these product systems requires recommended temperature / humidity conditions and film thickness ranges. The material, hangar, and aircraft skin temperature should be no lower than 55ºF / 13ºC before, during, and after application.
Dry times are based on the dry film thickness of 0.8 – 1.2 mils (20-30 microns).
Air Dry Times (75°F / 25°C and 50% RH):
To Touch: 10-15 minutes
To Handle: 30 – 60 minutes
Dry Through: 2 hours
Force Dry (140°F/ 60°C)
Dry Through: 30 minutes
Curing temperature must not exceed the heat distortion of the plastic substrate.
NOTE: Lower temperatures, heavy film thickness, improper activator range selection and poor air movement will extend the dry time.
Use CM0110845 JetFlex Reducer for cleanup. Do not allow material to cure inside equipment.
PLEASE NOTE: Because of the many types and compositions of plastic available, each user should test the coating on each substrate before production use. Customers must verify JAR/ FAR 25.853 regulation compliance on their substrate and system.
Two year shelf life is applicable only for materials stored in unopened and undamaged original factory filled containers.
Minimum Storage Temp: 40ºF / 4ºC
Maximum Storage Temp: 100ºF / 37ºC