- The surfaces to be bonded must be dry, clean and grease-free. To ensure correct surface preparation remove any grease present by wiping with a clean cloth wetted with Bostik Cleaner Thinner M501. The abrade the surface with clean emery cloth and remove the ensuing dust by wiping with another clean cloth moistened with Bostik Cleaner/Thinner M501. (On metal surfaces follow a similar procedure using a Cleaner/Thinner recommended by Bostik Findley LTD. Customer Service Department.
When bonding certain materials, such as wood and decorative laminates, it is not normally necessary to abrade them but they must be dry, clean and grease-free. If necessary remove any surface contamination with Bostik Cleaner/Thinner M501.
- Mix together thoroughly, for approximately 5 minutes, Bostik 2402 Adhesive and Bostikure D Curing Agent, preferably in the proportions as supplied or by taking (by weight) 100 parts of the adhesive and 6 parts of the curing agent.
- Apply an even coat of the mixed adhesive to both mating surfaces by brush, roller coater or serrated trowel.
- Allow the adhesive coats to dry for 5 to 15 minutes or until they can just be touched with the knuckles without any adhesive being transferred.
NOTE: Two thin coats are preferable for maximum adhesion. The first coat should be allowed to dry for approximately 20 to 30 minutes before applying the final coat and allowing this to dry for 5 to 15 minutes.
- Join the surfaces, taking care not to trap any air, using as much pressure as possible. Components may be handled within minutes of being bonded.
For the strongest adhesion to metal use Bostik 9252 Primer, full details of which are given in Information Sheet No. B67. Stir this primer thoroughly and then apply by brush an even, thin coat to the prepared metal surfaces. Allow the primer coat to dry for at least one hour before applying Bostik 2402 Adhesive.
Precautions must be taken to ensure that Bostik 2402 Adhesive, Bostikure D curing agent and the mixed uncured adhesive are not contaminated with water or water vapor, as this could have a detrimental effect on bond strengths.
Tack Life: Approximately 10 to 20 minutes dependent on the surfaces being bonded.
Pot Life: 6 to 8 hours in a closed container, but shorter in open containers due to solvent evaporation. Also the pot life decreases with age of the adhesive.
Curing Time: 48 hours under normal ambient temperature conditions but the strength of the adhesive bond continues to increase, reaching its maximum within 7 days. Cure rate may be accelerated by heating e.g. 2 hours at approximately 70°C.
Coverage: Approximately 4m^2 per liter but can vary with material being bonded. (2m^2 bonded area).
Cleaner/Thinner: Please contact Bostik Findley LTD. Customer Services Department for a product suitable for cleaning metal surfaces. Bostik Cleaner/Thinner M501 is suitable for other surfaces.
Use Bostik Cleaner/Thinner M501 for adhesive dilution, removal of surplus adhesive and cleaning of application tools and equipment.
Store in a dry flameproof area between 5 and 25°C.
9 months from date of manufacture, under the above conditions of storage.