DOW CORNING 90006 Aerospace Sealant adheres well to primed surfaces of most materials used in the
aerospace and aircraft industries. Typical materials include glass, cured silicone rubber, cork, phenolic,
polyester, epoxy, silicone resin laminates and most metals including stainless steel, titanium and
aluminium. It may not adhere well to polyethylene or certain plastics and organic materials (including rubber),
which bleed or exude plasticisers.
Stronger and more uniform bonds are obtained by preparing metal and plastic surfaces with DOW CORNING® 1200 Primer. For best results:
- Clean the surface with a chlorinated solvent (see Handling Precautions) and a slightly abrasive pad or a coarse lint-free cloth.
- Rinse cleaned surface with acetone or methyl ethyl ketone.
- Apply a thin coat of primer by dipping, brushing or spraying.
- Allow the primer to dry for at least 1 hour, according to relative humidity.
- Silicone rubber surfaces should not normally be primed, but only roughened slightly with abrasive paper and rinsed with acetone. In thin sections, a primer may be needed.
DOW CORNING 90006 Catalyst is added in a ratio of 1 part to 10 parts DOW CORNING 90006 Base, by weight. It may be dispersed by 2 to 5
minutes of hand mixing, or by approximately 40 cycles of a mechanical mixer. The base and catalyst are supplied in contrasting
colours: when uniformity of colour is achieved, components are uniformly blended.
How to apply
After being catalysed DOW CORNING 90006 Aerospace Sealant may be applied with a spatula. It can also be loaded into a cartridge
and applied from a pressure gun. Uncured excess may be removed with xylene, toluene or similiar aromatic solvents.
Working and cure time
DOW CORNING 90006 Aerospace Sealant is useable for a minimum of 2 hours after catalyst addition, unless otherwise specified. Although a 2
hour working time is standard, DOW CORNING 90006 Aerospace Sealant is available with working times of 1/8 and 1/2 hours, under the following designations.
DOW CORNING 90006 Aerospace Sealant - 1/8
DOW CORNING 90006 Aerospace Sealant - 1/2
The cure rate of DOW CORNING 90006 Aerospace Sealant may be accelerated by the application of heat; however, the short working time
versions produce finished sealants with the same physical, electrical and ablative characteristics.