Get outstanding protection from common causes of corrosion with 3M Aerospace AC-665 Class C-12 corrosion inhibitive sealant from SkyGeek. This sealant protects your aircraft from corrosive substances, such as jet fuel, aviation gasoline, chemicals, hydraulic fluids and petroleum products. The sealant is a two-part, manganese-cured and chromated substance. When mixed, the resulting compound is a flowable, faying surface-grade material. It can be easily applied to any surface using a brush, spatula, extrusion gun or roller. Even under extreme temperatures, weathering and stress, this sealant maintains its flexibility and bond strength on most metal substrates.
Approvals, References and Specifications
- STM 40-112
- MIL-PRF-81733 Type IV
- GAMPS 7115
- Two-part, manganese-cured, chromated, corrosion inhibitive sealant
- Excellent protection from corrosion caused by galvanic coupling of dissimilar metals
- Resistant to chemicals, hydraulic fluids, petroleum products, aviation gasoline and jet fuel
- Flowable, flaying, surface-grade mixed compound
- Easily applied with brush, spatula, extrusion gun or roller
- Color: Base - Yellow, Accelerator - Black
- Mix ratio: Accelerator:Base - 10:100 (by weight)
- Nonvolatile content: 93 percent
- Minimum application life: 12 hours
- Assembly time: 24 hours
- Typical cure time: 14 days
- Specific gravity: 1.52 to 1.55 g/cc
- Hardness: 45 to 50 Shore A
- Maintains low temperature flexibility at -65 degrees Fahrenheit
- Service temperatures: -65 degrees Fahrenheit to 250 degrees Fahrenheit
- Tensile strength: 260 psi
- Elongation: 550 percent
- Soluble chromate content: 4 to 5 percent
- Repairability: 43 piw to itself and other MIL-PRF-81733D qualified sealants
- Non-nutrient fungus resistance
Use InstructionsMixing Instructions
Two Part Sealant:
1. Holding the cartridge, grasp the dasher rod and pull back approximately one inch.
2. Insert the ramrod into the hollow of the dasher rod, break the piston loose, and inject about 1/3 of the contents into the cartridge.
Note: Do not inject all of the catalyst in one location. Distribute evenly throughout base material.
3. Repeat steps 2 and 3 until all the contents of the rod are emptied into the cartridge. Remove the ramrod.
4. Mix for the required number of strokes (hand mixing) or for the required amount of time (machine mixing) indicated in the kit intructions.
5. When mixing is complete, remove bottom cap.
6. Pull the dasher rod back to the neck of the cartridge, grasp the cartridge firmly at the neck, unscrew the dasher rod and remove.
7. Screw the nozzle into the cartridge, insert into the extrusion gun and use as required. For hand extrusion, press the used dasher rod against the
plunger to force the material from the cartridge.
The shelf life of AC-665 Class C is 9 months from date of packaging, when stored at temperatures below 80 degrees F in its original container.
Mixed AC-665 Class C may be stored under refrigeration as follows: 15 days at -10 degrees F, 30 days at -40 degrees F. It is important to remember that
freezing, storing and thawing procedures reduce application life. Also, frozen storage will reduce application life by varying amounts depending on the
storage temperature and length of storage time. All aspects of storage, freezing and thawing should be planned carefully and it is not recommended to mix
and freeze with less than 1/2 hour application time.
Health and Safety Precautions
AC-665 Class C sealant is safe to use and apply when recommended precautions are followed. Before using this product, read and understand the Material
Safety Data Sheet (MSDS), which provides information on health, physical and environmental hazards, handling precautions and first aid recommendations.
An MSDS is available upon request. Avoid overexposure. Obtain medical care in case of extreme overexposure.
CSNP-035 - Qualified
STM 40-112 - Qualified
MIL-PRF-81733 Type IV - C-12, C-24, C-48 Qualified
GAMPS 7115 - C-12 Qualified
Typical Physical and Application Properties
Color: Base - Yellow, Accelerator - Black
Mix Ratio: 100 base / 10 accelerator (by weight)
Nonvolatile Content: 93%
Base Viscosity (RVF Brookfield #6 Spindle @ 2rpm): 2,000 - 3,500 poise
Application Life and Cure Time
(At 75 degrees F, 50% Relative Humidity)
Minimum Application Life*: 12 hours
Assembly Time**: 24 hours
Typical Cure Time***: 14 days
Minimum Application Life*: 24 hours
Assembly Time**: 48 hours
Typical Cure Time***: 21 days
Minimum Application Life*: 48 hours
Assembly Time**: 168 hours
Typical Cure Time***: 56 days
*Application life refers to the length of time that mixed compound remains at a consistency suitable for application with spatula or caulking gun.
Application life is always measured at a standard temperature of 77 degrees F with a relative humidity of 50%. In general, for every 20 degree rise in
temperature, the application life is halved; and for every 20 degree drop, it is doubled. High humidity levels during the mixing process will shorten
**Assembly time is the amount of time that a sealant will remain useable in a faying surface joint such that the sealant will allow excess amterial to
squeeze out of joint to less than 0.004 inches.
***Cure time is defined as the length of time it takes AC-665 Class C sealant to reach 30A hardness. It depends on three factors: remaining application
life, temperature and relative humidity. The temperature/humidity factors for application life also apply to curing. To accelerate the curing process,
apply heat up to (but no more than) 120 degrees F.
Typical Physical and Performance Properties of Cured Compound when tested per MIL-PRF-81733D
Specific Gravity: 1.52 to 1.55 g/cc
Hardness: 45-50 Shore "A"
Low Temperature Flexibility: No cracking, checking or adhesion loss when tested at -65 degrees F (-54 degrees C)
Thermal Stability, 48 hours at 250 degrees F: Does not soften, blister, crack or blow
Service Temperatures: -65 degrees to +250 degrees F (-54 degrees to +121 degrees C)
Tensile Strength: 260 psi
Corrosion: Excellent protection from corrosion caused by galvanic coupling of dissimilar metals
Soluble Chromate Content*: 4-5%
Repairability: 43 piw to itself and other MIL-PRF-81733D qualified sealants
Fungus Resistance: Non-nutrient
*Not part specific